Tuesday 7 September 2010

Villagers - Becoming A Jackal Album Review

Villagers - Becoming a Jackal Pictures, Images and Photos


Villagers - Becoming A Jackal



Villagers are an irish indie-folk band. They've played several festivals and were nominated for the mercury prize. So, what's so good about Villagers?



"Becoming a Jackal" is overall a mellow folk album, great lyrically and frontman O'Brien is a talented guy, doing alot of the instrumentation on the tracks himself. There's a very dark theme to this album, it's all quite depressing; the only upbeat track really is "The Pact-I'll be your fever". None-the-less this album is fairly interesting. Mainly acoustic instrumentation as you'd imagine, from a folk sounding artist, with some catchy riffs and enticing vocals.

Content-wise, alot of the songs to me sound pretty similar, There's potential in it but it's like the band doesn't have anything new to offer. They don't sound like any other bands really either, but thats not exactly a good thing, it's like they have the blueprint to something and they're not doing much more to it. If Villagers were more experimental I think they'd appeal more to me, but hey, they appeal to alot of other people, just not clicking with me. I'm not saying they're bad, or good. I really don't have an opinion. Lyricaly it's great, and overall it's a good folk/indie album, if only they had more variety.


So I'd recommend you give it a go, they're not my cup of tea. But if you like bands like Mumford and Sons or a dark folk album; give it a go!



5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment